Career Online High School
Wanting to broaden your horizons by finishing high school and receiving job training? The Three Rivers Regional Library System now offer adults the opportunity to earn accredited high school diplomas and career certificates through Career Online High School.
Achieve your dream of a better job and life by applying today. There are a limited number of scholarships to qualified adults who are looking to advance their careers, prepare for workforce entry, or continue their education.
After you successfully complete an online self-assessment and a two-week prerequisite course, followed by an in-person interview, your application will be reviewed for the awarding of a scholarship to attend Career Online High School.
If you are selected for a scholarship and enrolled in the program, you will be paired with an academic coach. Your coach provides ongoing guidance, evaluates performance, and connects you to the resources you need to master the courses. Students have up to 18 months to complete the program.Learn More & Register
Frequently asked questions
1. What is the Career Online High School (COHS)? Career Online High School (COHS) is an online high school diploma and career preparation program available through the Three Rivers Regional Library System. This program offers free enrollment to a limited number of qualified adult students.
2. Who can qualify for a Three Rivers Regional Library System / COHS scholarship?
- Be at least 19 years old
- Have successfully completed 8th grade
- Receive passing scores on reading and math assessments
- Have basic computer skills
- Successfully complete a two-week prerequisite course
- Have a Three Rivers Regional Library System card account in good standing, or register for one
- To find out more, call 386-294-3858 or email email@example.com
3. Will COHS students receive their GED? No. This is not a General Educational Development (GED) test program rather it is an alternative high school diploma program delivered online. Successful graduates will earn a high school diploma as well as a career preparation certificate. NOTE: A career preparation certificate is not an official certification/licensure, and students may be required to fulfill additional hands-on training hours that are required in some fields such as childcare and truck/commercial driver.
4. What type of career preparation modules will be offered?
- Childcare and education
- Certified protection officer (security officer)
- Office management
- Commercial driving
- Homeland security
- General career preparation
- Retail customer service
- Food and hospitality
5. What is the career portfolio? A career portfolio provides students with the tools they need to become job ready. Students will learn how to create essential documents, such as your resume and cover letter. All students are required to complete this portfolio.
6. Is all coursework web-based? Yes.
7. What device(s) can I use to access my coursework? You must use a desktop or laptop. (Smart phones, tablets or iPads are not compatible with the system.)
8. Is all coursework offered only in English? Yes.
9. Will I need to purchase textbooks? No, you will not; however, the Language Arts classes may require novels, which students may borrow from any of the Three Rivers Regional Library System member libraries.
10. How long will it take for students to complete the program? Students will be given up to 18 months to complete the program, which consists of a total of 18 credits. Students accepted into the program may transfer up to 14 credits from their former high school. Depending on how many credits the student is able to transfer, the program can be completed in as few as five months.
11. Is COHS accredited? Career Online High School is fully accredited as an online school district by the AdvancED Accreditation Commission, the national commission that confers the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI) accreditation seal. The Smart Horizon's Career Online Education (SHCOE) district and all of its schools are accredited. SHCOE delivers a SACS accredited online high school diploma. Learn more about the district accreditation process at www.advanc-ed.org.
12. Will my local community colleges and universities accept a Carrer Online High School diploma? Yes.
13. What if I need help with the admissions process following graduation? Career Online High School is committed to the success of its graduates as they advance into the workplace or postsecondary education and training. Any alumni of the COHS program who has questions about their transcripts or meeting college admissions requirements may call 1-888-408-5783 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for support.
14. Is COHS staff credentialed? Yes, all COHS instructors are state certified. Most of the academic coaches and academic instructors are located in Florida.
15. When are they available to assist students? Students may access academic coaches and instructors via email or phone. Coaches are available Monday through Friday, eight hours a day. Students should refer to the Academic Coach link on their home page to see the specific hours of each coach.
16. Does the library offer other resources for education and job preparation? The library is committed to helping people meet their educational and job preparation needs. Please visit your local Three Rivers Regional Library System member library, call (386) 294 - 3858, or email email@example.com to speak with an Adult Learning Specialist.
17. How do I get started?
- Ready to get started now? Take the self-assessment
- After completing the self-assessment, you will be contacted by the library within 5 business days to schedule an interview to discuss your next steps
- During your interview session your math and reading skills will be assessed
- Based on these assessments you will be placed in the most appropriate program of study for high school completion
- Students assigned to COHS will be required to select a career focus (there are 8 options) and enroll in Part 1 of the program (the prerequisite course). During the prerequisite course, you will explore the online learning environment to determine if you are comfortable with an online instructor-supported, self-paced approach to learning
- The prerequisite course must be completed with a score of 70% or higher and within two weeks or sooner.
- Those who successfully complete the prerequisite course may be eligible for a scholarship award
- The Library will reach out to prospective students within 5 business days of completing the prerequisite course for a follow up interview to discuss their application
- After this follow up interview the library's enrollment team determines if a candidate will receive a scholarship within 5 days
- Candidates not awarded a scholarship will be referred to other options